Children and adolescent also represent a substantial part of the membership of Red Cross for its humanitarian commitment. Young volunteers can make a significant contribution to meeting the needs of the most vulnerable people within their local communities through Red Cross programme. This has been designed to involve young people as much as possible in the movement and its activities not only as workers but also as beneficiaries, and as partners in management. The programme focuses on the following areas:
• Promote life and health through training and education on safety, primary health care and healthy living
• Encourage community service through training and education
• Disseminate the seven fundamental principles of Red Cross and Red Crescent movement through activities that encourage the Red Cross ideals
• Promote international friendship with activities that cultivate a humanitarian spirit
• Technical support in the development of youth programmes, fund-raising, identification of material and human resources
The youth unit aims to have young people recognized by Societies leadership as equal partners who address the needs of the most vulnerable.